the early morning hours

As I lie awake in the darkness
I wonder if you’re sleeping
time is distance between us
but you’re alive in the same moment as me

I wish that I could touch you
or just feel you next to me
your breathing body rise and fall
see your eyes closed as you sleep
your trusting shape
your skin washed with night
all fear drained away

In your embrace a feeling floods through me
that I can’t deny
Words overflow and consume me
but they can’t explain

I’d need a lifetime to prove that I love you
the way I say I do
And as you cling to me its not long enough
It’s not enough

How do I make my heart settle down?
and reign in my fear?
how do I miss you less or love you less;
just enough to breathe without you?

When in this moment I’m lost
I feel love’s control
and this simple beauty whose hope is in me
is so complex and hard to know

How do I protect you when I’m such a stranger to strength?
let go when I want to hold on?
How do I guard your love
When I’m captive to my own?

I have only trust
fragile, innocent trust
faith in you, that you’ll be there;
so I don’t have to do this alone